Dr. George Kerby
How We Got Our Name
In 1973, a seniors’ organization took up residence in a building at 1133 – 7 Avenue S.W., Calgary. This building began life as the original campus for Mount Royal College.
Once Mount Royal College moved to the Lincoln Park Campus, this building at 1133 – 7 Avenue S.W. was named the Kerby Memorial Building to honour the founder of Mount Royal College, Dr. George William Kerby. Seniors began using the building and calling it Kerby Centre and hence the organization was named.
For information on Dr. George William Kerby, see the following link from the Calgary Public Library website History of Rev. Dr. George Kerby.
Please note, in the photo of Dr. Kerby’s residence on the Calgary Public Library website, the building behind Dr. Kerby’s residence is the building currently being used for Kerby Centre. Dr. Kerby was literally surrounded by his work!